New York Accident Lawyers -Automobile, truck, motorcycle, and pedestrian accidents
After getting medical attention, bring your accident case to the attention of our New York law firm
Thankfully, most drivers will never be involved in a motor vehicle accident. However, with more than 40,000 deaths and more than 200,000 serious injuries each year resulting from motor vehicle accidents, the risk of having an accident is an ever-present reality.
If you or a loved one is involved in a motor vehicle accident, your first priority is to seek proper medical attention. In addition, there are other important steps that must be taken following an accident to protect your rights. Therefore, as soon as possible you or a family member should call an attorney who is experienced in handling motor vehicle accident claims.
For the past 20 years, our New York accident lawyers Barasch McGarry Salzman & Penson, PC has represented hundreds of clients injured in traffic accidents. We have the expertise and financial resources successfully to process traffic-related injury cases from start to finish. We can assist you in making sure that your rights under New York's no-fault laws are protected so that you are not saddled with burdensome medical bills down the road.
Throughout litigation we use respected and experienced private investigators to ensure that all evidence is preserved by obtaining photographs and witness statements and conducting scene investigations.
Our NY injury attorneys guide you through the difficult process of litigation and do our very best to obtain a favorable jury verdict or settlement on your behalf.
What to do if you are in a motor vehicle accident
If you get into an accident—
- Call the police and make sure any injured parties are attended to. Try to protect the accident scene.
- Write down the names and addresses of all drivers and passengers involved in the accident.
- Get the make and model of each vehicle involved, plus the other driver's license number and insurance information.
- Get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of any witnesses who stay around after the accident.
- Call your insurance agent as soon as you can, even if you are far from home, and it was somebody else's fault. Request a no-fault insurance application.
- Keep records of the expenses you incur as a result of the accident and copies of all paperwork.
- Speak to an attorney as soon as possible to ascertain your legal rights.
- See a doctor to make sure that you get well and to ensure that your complaints are documented.
- Take photos showing the damage to your car. Remember, your cell phone might also be a camera.
No-fault insurance benefits
If you are injured in an automobile accident, you are entitled to receive no-fault insurance benefits for accident-related losses regardless of who was at fault for the accident. No-fault benefits include payment for your medical and prescription expenses, lost wages, and other incidental expenses for items such as travel to doctors and household care. These benefits are paid by the insurance company insuring the vehicle you were in, or if you were a ped