Dedicated New York City Trip and Fall/Slip and Fall Attorneys
Responsive representation for premises liability claims
If you’ve fallen and suffered a serious injury due to dangerous conditions on someone’s property, you may need to file a premises liability claim. The personal injury lawyers at Barasch McGarry Salzman & Penson provide a high caliber of legal representation as you go through this difficult time, leveraging our decades of experience and deep knowledge to help you seek compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering and other damages. Work with us for a legal team that is dedicated to your specific needs at all times.
What are the common causes of trip and fall/slip and fall accidents?
Although they may seriously injure people of all ages, trip/slip and fall accidents are particularly hazardous for the elderly. A fall may result in broken bones, back and neck injuries, internal organ damage and other physical ailments, as well as emotional pain and suffering. These accidents may occur almost anywhere, including:
- Parking lots and sidewalks. It’s difficult to keep a parking lot or sidewalk from freezing over, especially during a cold winter. Icy sidewalks can result in a dangerous situation, and property owners have a duty to maintain their lots and premises in a safe manner. Uneven pavements can also be dangerous. A skilled attorney can assist if you’ve been injured on an NYC sidewalk.
- Steps. Loose, uneven or worn-out steps are another common hazard. Property owners need to maintain stairways that are completely safe for customers and guests, including installing handrails.
- Stores. Slippery floors and blocked walkways are also highly dangerous for customers and workers. Business owners must ensure they block off surfaces that have recently been cleaned to prevent people from accidentally slipping and falling. Business owners must also make sure there is adequate lighting outside the premises, especially in the parking lot.
- Restaurants. In a food service setting, it’s likely that food or liquids may fall onto the floor, creating a slippery surface. Restaurant staff should clean up spills and dropped food as quickly as possible to keep the hazards to a minimum.
- Public transit. Falls are also quite common on mass transit. You may need to seek compensation from the agency in charge of public transportation if you’ve been injured on a bus or train.
Filing a liability claim in New York
It’s important to understand that the statute of limitations, which is three years in New York, starts immediately after your injury occurs. In some situations, you may have as little as 20 days to file suit. After this time, you will be financially responsible for any injuries you’ve sustained. The most important factor is consulting with a lawyer at Barasch McGarry Salzman & Penson who understands slip and fall liability and the best legal options for your specific circumstances.
Speak with an experienced trip and fall/slip and fall lawyer
The personal injury attorneys at Barasch McGarry Salzman & Penson serve injured people throughout New York City and the surrounding areas. For a free initial consultation, call us today at 888.746.8212 or contact us online.