As a dedicated personal injury law firm, we work hard to help clients and families injured by the carelessness and negligence of others. Distracted driving is a leading factor behind many serious motor vehicle and pedestrian accidents in New York City.
This year in New York, legislative changes are being enacted to increase driver attention on the road, and decrease injury and death. Here are some key points about current New York cell phone laws:
- It is illegal to use a hand-held telephone to talk, text or send email while driving
- The number of penalty points assessed for a cell phone law violation rose to five points, from three, after June 1 of this year
- Starting July 26, monetary fines range from $50 to $400 depending on your driving record
Also in the news, the Automobile Association of American (AAA) Foundation for Traffic Safety recently concluded research that examined types of distracted driving and the use of voice-activated electronic devices built into the dashboard of a car. Their conclusion? Hands-free driving is not risk-free. Other findings include:
- Distraction from all sources decreases the ability of the brain to effectively process and respond to normal driving conditions and hazards
- In-car voice-activated devices should be limited to those needed for operating the car
- Driver access to social and other media should be disabled while the car is in motion
Research and common sense point to the same fact. Less distraction means more lives saved. If you are involved in a distracted driving accident, seek reputable legal help.