Most people know that drinking and driving is both illegal and incredibly dangerous. Yet every day, motorists get behind the wheel after having one too many to drink. If you or your loved one is injured in a car crash with a drunk driver, you may be confused, worried about medical bills and angry with the person who hit you. However, you should realize that you aren’t alone. And with the right legal help, you may be able to obtain rightful compensation.
Consider the following statistics about drunk driving accidents:
- Approximately one-third of all drunk drivers who are arrested or convicted of drunk driving are repeat offenders.
- In 2011, fatal drunk-driving accidents were 4.5 times more likely to occur at night than during the day.
- 31 percent of drivers involved in fatal crashes on weekends in 2011 were drunk.
- In the United States, 28 people die each day as a result of drunk driving.
- Approximately one in three people are involved in drunk-driving accidents at some point in their lifetimes.
- Nearly every 90 seconds a person is injured in a drunk-driving accident.
- 10,322 people died in drunk-driving crashes in 2012 in the United States — one every 51 minutes.
- 226 children died in drunk-driving accidents in 2011 — 54 percent of those killed were riding with the drunk driver.
The best way to avoid accidents with drunk drivers is to stay far away from them. However, spotting an intoxicated motorist isn’t always easy, until it’s too late. If your family has been affected by a drunk-driving accident, seek experienced legal counsel. A skilled lawyer can fight zealously for your rights and assist your family in taking prompt legal action.